Wednesday 9 December 2009

My Year in Lists... 2009

I've already had a crack and my favourite films of the decade... here... that's probably easier than music though, although there are a few things I'd probably change already.
My biggest film advice / learning of 2009 is to write off anything with Kate Winslet in. I'll never get the four hours of my life sat watching The Reader / Revolutionary Road back. Ever.

So 2009, highlights probably the return of Monkey Island on the gaming front, musically I've attempted by own half-arsed lists, my own preferences from what I've been listening to. I'm not really a fan of the lo-fi / folky train of bands that are doing so well at the moment, that probably reflects in these lists. I'll do a top 25 albums of the decade before xmas too.

Okay, enough bullshit:

My Top 25 Albums of the year (2009)
In no particular order but those nearer 1 are better than 25, but actual numbering would change every day.

Editors ~ In This Light and on This Evening

The Joy Formidable ~ A Balloon Called Moaning

The Boxer Rebellion ~ Union

Slow Club ~ Yeah So

The Airborne Toxic Event ~ S/T

Emmy the Great ~ First Love

Fanfarlo ~ Reservoir

The Horrors – Primary Colours

Grammatics – S/T

Jarvis Cocker ~ Further Complications

Franz Ferdinand ~ Tonight

Metric ~ Fantasies

The Joy Formidable ~ First You Have To Get Mad

White Lies ~ To Lose This Life

New Rhodes ~ Everybody Loves A Scene

She Keep Bees ~ Nests

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart ~ S/T

Codes ~ Trees Dream In Algebra

Jeniferver ~ Spring Tides

Manic Street Preachers ~ Journal for Plague Lovers

Gliss ~ Devotion Implosion

Esben and the Witch ~ 33

Crocodile ~ S/T

Loverman ~ Human Nurture

Regina Spektor ~ Far

And also my Top 25 songs of the year;
Again in no particular order but if I were to pick a top ten, those nearer the top of this list would more likely get in.
I've limited this to one track per artist so that it doesn't get a bit silly with Editors / The Joy Formidable whoring!

Will do a mix~tape containing various versions of these songs soon.

Sea of Regrets ~ I LIKE TRAINS
Whirring ~ The Joy Formidable
Papillon ~ Editors
Evacuate ~ The Boxer Rebellion
Death ~ White Lies
When I Go ~ Slow Club
We Almost Had A Baby ~ Emmy The Great
Murderer ~ Grammatics
Sometime Around Midnight ~ The Airborne Toxic Event
Ulysses ~ Franz Ferdinand
Who Can Say ~ The Horrors
Dead Disco Dancer ~ O Children
Crypt Tonight ~ Loverman
I am not a Robot ~ Marina and the Diamonds
The Joys of Finding and Losing That Girl ~ New Rhodes
Velvet ~ The Big Pink
The Walls are Coming Down ~ Fanfarlo
Gimme Sympathy ~ Metric
Contender ~ The Pains of Being Pure at Heat
Salt Air ~ CHEW LiPS
Home ~ Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
Sit Down By The Fire ~ The Veils
Sweet Deposition ~ The Temper Trap
Kingdom of Rust ~ Doves
Daniel ~ Bat for Lashes

No comments:

Post a Comment