Monday 5 December 2011

The Blog Sound of 2012


I was honoured to be asked to take part in this new alternative (and in no way an insult to) to the BBC's Sound of poll where a group of UK music bloggers have got together and each, individually pick five artists they tip for good things in 2012, the fifteen that received the most votes find themselves on the long-list below.
Exactly the same procedure as the BBC Sound list which was released today (hence the reason for this alternative list being posted today) - head to the Beeb site here to view thier complete list.

The Blog Sound of 2012 Long List ( in no particular order):

Houdini Dax - Facebook
Houdini Dax - The Trend

Lianne La Havas - Facebook
Lianne La Havas - Forget

Theme Park - Facebook
Milk by Theme Park

French Wives - Facebook
Numbers by French Wives

The Good Natured - Facebook
Video Voyeur by The Good Natured

Alt J - Facebook
Breezeblocks (demo) by alt-j

The Jezabels - Facebook
The Jezabels - Endless Summer

Lucy Rose - Facebook
Lucy Rose - Scar by Lucy Rose

Bastille - Facebook
FLAWS by BASTILLE

Rachel Sermanni - Facebook
Breathe Easy by Rachel Sermanni

Friends - Facebook
Friends - Friend Crush

Meursault - Facebook
Meursault - blindfolds

Daughter - Facebook
Daughter - Love

Beth Jeans Houghton - Facebook
Beth Jeans Houghton - Dodecahedron

Outfit - Facebook
Killer by OUTFIT

A brief analysis leads to evidence of a skewed voted towards alternative / folk music, probably due to the tastes of the blogs which took part. Just two of the blog sound list are on the BBC sound list (Lianne La Havas & Friends). I'll not reveal my exact five nominations, two of my picks are on the long-list (all five naturally are in my own 'Tips for 2012' post to follow next week - I'm posting my favourite albums of the year this week). I've linked to my posts for the artists I've previously posted (seven of the acts).and included a sample of a each of the acts, some I'm aware of and some that I'm not (I'm honest enough to admit I'd not so much as heard of Houdini Dax before I received the email with the long list).

The good thing about music is the rich variation in taste and long may that continue, this little blog will continue to do what it has been doing and post about the music that I like. Check out all of the acts above and who knows you might just find your new favourite act. A top five and winner will be announced in due course, again to coincide with the BBC list.

The following UK blogs took part in The Blog Sound of 2012:

Breaking More Waves, God Is In the TV, Sweeping The Nation, The Von Pip Musical Express, The Recommender, Faded Glamour, Drunken Werewolf, Flying With Anna, Not Many Experts, Underclassed Idle Ideas, Sonic Masala, Mudkiss, The Pop Cop, The Ring Master, Both Bars On, Music From A Green Window, Dots And Dashes, The Daily Growl, And Everyone's A DJ, Kowolskiy, Just Music That I Like, Cruel Rhythm, The Blue Walrus, Music Fans Mic, Seventeen Seconds, Eaten By Monsters, Seven Sevens, Unpeeled, New Rave Brain Wave, Peenko, Music Liberation and Song By Toad

1 comment:

  1. The sound looking quite interesting. Thanks for the information shared here.
    purplepages.org

    ReplyDelete