Monday 3 September 2012

Tashaki Miyaki #5 - Covers

Facebook / tashakimiyaki.bandcamp.com/

I keep posting about Tashaki Miyaki and with good reason, their debut releases, an EP and 7" single both oozed with gorgeous, languid harmonies, both wistful and sentimental that instantly seduced heart and mind, "Get It Right" the perfect example, relaxed and dreamy, instantly wrapping you in warm, fuzzy goodness.

The band have a habit of turning in amazing cover versions too, I've previously mentioned their beautiful cover of "All I Have To Do Is Dream", the Everly Brothers classic and the thick layers of distorted guitars on Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat", both of those have since been released in one form or another and if you aren't familiar with them are well worth checking out. The reason for this blog though, wasn't a trip down memory lane but to say that one my return from End of the Road yesterday I discovered the band had posted some new covers, most recently a typically hazy, slow-motion beauty, transforming the power pop ballad of Roxette's "It Must Have Been Love" with shimmering soundscapes and pure, sweet vocals.

Known to most of you from the Pretty Woman soundtrack it has a completely different association with me, I'm a Stafford Rangers fan and in the mid 90's the club played the same mix tape at every (and I do mean every) home game, this was one of the tracks alongside the Belinda Carlisle 'classic' "Heaven Is A Place On Earth" and Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is" - with so much sing-a-long potential before the match it's no wonder we were so shit!

That's not all though, a pretty faithful rendition of The Troggs "I Want You" sees searing, droning guitar lines of take the place the original rock & roll 60's and on Father John Misty's "Hollywood Forever Cemetry Sings" there are more of the bands signature sun-drenched grooves oozing from the seams, all portraying the sort of charm and simplicity that's led them to become an act I can very much describe as a blog favourite.





No comments:

Post a Comment