Monday 15 August 2011

Electrelane - Black Cab Session

Facebook

I didn't review Field Day, after giving a comprehensive preview of who I planned to see it didn't make much sense to repeat myself a few days after. There were naturally a few changes on the day (I missed Zola Jesus in her entirety :( and didn't catch Factory Floor) but I did pretty much what I planned. Overall summation is that it was a good day, a potentially great day with some minor and major teething problems. The main one being it was too damn busy after three o'clock in the afternoon. Everywhere was rammed. There certainly needs to be some scaling back if the day is to stay in the same park, there were probably too many stages, the positioning of a couple led to further bottlenecks (the one where Anika - who was great - played for example) and typically with festivals the sound was iffy at best - the red tent where Still Corners played suffered more than most, to be fair where I was positioned for Anika and Warpaint the sound was good. So yes, some changes and the day could rival the line-up which was undoubtedly brilliant this year.

The best band of the day were without doubt Electrelane, I enjoyed their set so much when I returned home I got a ticket to see them at XOYO (which is tomorrow), a show I'm looking forward to. A small sweaty basement is much more my thing than a heaving field. Verity was particularly mesmerising throughout their set, switching between synths and guitar, it was a dazzling lead.

XOYO however, won't be quite as cramped as the back of a taxi... Here is a video of an acoustic version of "Power Out" done for the always wonderful Black Cab Sessions:

Electrelane from Black Cab Sessions on Vimeo.

Rumours are that the Electrelane union is just for this summers' European series of gigs, that will be a shame if true though on a personal note I'm glad to have been able to see the girls play at least two shows in that time after really being the gig-whore that I now am now ten years ago.

Electrelane - Bells

No comments:

Post a Comment