Monday 28 November 2011

Joanna Gruesome - New Music "Introducing"

Facebookjoannagruesome.bandcamp.com

I listened to Joanna Gruesome for the first time with some trepidation, I'm not sure if it was the use of the word gruesome bringing unpleasant memories or the similarities in name to Joanna Newsom (not that I hate her, opposite). Now that I've listened to them I've decided two things, firstly I quite like the name and secondly, that I needn't have worried because the Cardiff five piece have everything going for them, a delightful combination of sweet indie-pop and grungy garage rock which you can hear on their debut EP (available on a pay what you like basis on bandcamp now).

"Lemonade Grrl" is a nice introduction to the sound, all scuzzy and lo-fi, a thunderous intoxication combines fast and furious drumming, fuzzy jangling guitars, and gorgeous harmonised vocals, it's a blast of late 80's / early 90's noise pop that's undeniably fun and energetic.

The two closing tracks, "Yr Dick" and "Candy" are possibly my favourites, syrupy dual vocals contrast superbly with the crashing drums, as thick as tar baseline and loud, chugging guitars, part MBV, part LC!, part Beat Happening. All in all, it's an enticing debut from the band that certainly hint at great things ahead.

Listen:

Joanna Gruesome - Lemonade Grrl

No comments:

Post a Comment