Sunday 15 December 2013

My Favourite 25 Albums of 2013: A Digest


Earlier today I completed my favourite albums of the year posts, twenty five great albums that all deserve their place. They were another handful of albums that I could have easily included; Just Handshakes, La Luz, Widowspeak and Marnie Stern all released equally impressive albums and the list of albums I've not actually heard goes on longer than I could recall but I'm happy with my list and looking through it, it really does show what a super year for music 2013 has been. To save you reading all my nonsense this post is a brief summary of the albums in reverse order:

25. Big Deal - June Goom
24 Torres - Torres
23. Oh Land - Wish Bone
22. Esben and the Witch - Wash the Sins not Only the Face
21. Camera Obscura - Desire Lines
20. Zola Jesus - Versions
19. Basia Bulat - Tall Tall Shadow
18. Pins - Girls Like Us
17. Editors - The Weight of Your Love
16. Agnes Obel - Aventine
15. Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Ripley Pine
14. Savages - Silence Yourself
13. Veronica Falls - Waiting For Something To Happen
12. The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
11. London Grammar - If You Wait
10. Anna Von Hausswolff - Ceremony
9. Chelsea Wolfe - Pain Is Beauty
8. Lanterns on the Lake - Until The Colours Run
7. Daughter - If You Leave
6. Laura Marling - Once I Was An Eagle
5. David Bowie - The Next Day
4. Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In
3. The National - Trouble Will Find Me
2. Arcade Fire - Reflektor
1. Anna Von Hausswolff - Singing From The Grave



4 comments:

  1. this is the critical/blog list by far closest to main (11 in common). but where is Waxahatchee? Cerulean Salt was my album of the year by a long chalk
    p.s I saw Anna Von Hauswolff live too. amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James,

    Glad to read we had much in common. I really still need to sit down with the full Waxahatchee album, I've read plenty of great comments about it and it literally is just a case of not listening to it yet, far too many great acts / artists to give them all the time they deserve. Consider it on my listening pile!

    Feel free to share anything else you think I may enjoy too.

    Best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leigh
      I loved a lot ofthe Lily and Madeleine ep and album but that was more a few great songs than a whole album experience ('the devil you know' was my starting point').

      Agnes Obel is grand, portentous and very different

      My favorite song of the year I think was 'grown ups' by 'the burning Hell'. Lyrical genius and a wistful yearning. 'We used to take photos in graveyards, back when we wee little goth idiots' - classic

      This year I'm looking forward to Honeyblood's debut as the single was the best indie pop I've heard for a long time. Unashamedly catchy. Loads more I forget

      I'm going to get ,'oh land' today I think; loved a single of hers a couple of years ago and your list reminded me
      All the best
      James

      Delete
    2. Thanks James, I'll be sure to give that track spin soon.

      Delete