Wednesday 14 September 2011

EMA #2 - Marked + Butterfly Knife in Session

Facebook /cameouttanowhere.com/

I see quite a few live gigs and without doubt one of the best acts I've seen in 2011 is EMA (Erika M. Anderson), her third(!) show of the day in a hot and sweaty Jam at Brighton's The Great Escape festival (original review) was one of my highlights of the festival. Delivering an intimate and highly powerful live performance of her 90's influenced noise-grunge debut 'Past Life Martyred Saints', with scuzzed-up guitars, Erika's intense vocal delivery and her compelling stage presence, it was a breathtaking show.

It's fair to say I'm looking forward to her sold-out show at Cargo tonight, I'm sure everyone else going is too... Though the reason for this post wasn't to tell you where I am tonight, it was to show these two stunning live tracks EMA performed for Radio K (watch below), both tracks from her album, "Marked" and "Butterfly Knife".

"Marked" is probably my favourite track on the album (though "The Grey Ship" and it's single b-side "Kind Heart" push it close), raw and bruised with its repetitive cries of "I wish that every time he touched me left a mark". This version of "Butterfly Knife" surpasses the album version, a truly angry dissonance of crashing percussive beats, frenetic riffs and an possessed like vocal, just listen to the Erika's shredding her guitar, amazing:


Live on Radio K: EMA - "Marked" from Radio K on Vimeo.


Live on Radio K: EMA - "Butterfly Knife" from Radio K on Vimeo.

You want a ticket to see her live now right? Luckily for you EMA return to the UK in November for a couple of dates with Zola Jesus (!) including this show at Heaven. More Euro / US dates here.

If you are interested in hearing Erika perform a few Nirvana covers head over to her website.

Here is "California", Erika's preacher like rant about the state that "made her boring" a quite stunning track, its repeated refrain of "I'm just 22 / I don’t mind dying" amongst the sludge like beats it's as bold a statement as you'll hear this year from one of this years best discoveries.

EMA - California

No comments:

Post a Comment