Thursday 1 September 2011

Pink Noise - New Music "Introducing"


Facebookpinknoiseny.bandcamp.com/

When Holly Miranda suggests a band it's wise to check them out (even if it's taken me approx eight weeks to finish this write-up!). That's exactly what happened with Brooklyn based (via Tel Aviv) Pink Noise. The connections to Holly are there, she adds some additional vocals on the their debut EP, 'Here is Happiness' and it's produced by TV on the Radio's Dave Sitek (who also produced The Magician's Private Library), though I'm not liking this purely because I love HM, I'm liking this because it's bloody great.

Released towards the end of last year 'Here is Happiness' contains six tracks that flutter between lush, layered arrangements a la Miranda (end of comparison I promise) and full on kick-ass rock assault. A pacy, tight EP of accessible and immediate indie rock. Vocalist Sharron Sulami reminds me of Emily Haines, her voice is similarly sultry-cool, a dreamy whisper yet it that can kick on hell of a punch when it's needed.

"The Roads" kicks off proceedings and instantly let's you in on one of Pink Noise's signatures, a tight, rhythmic percussive beat, "Redwoods" continues with the shimmering soundscapes before "Moving In" changes the mood, ringing keys and synth effects lead to sinister guitar hooks and machine-gun drums, it's unsettling, ferocious and dark. My favourite is probably closer "Dive" which leaves you gasping for breath with fuzzed-out riffs and the roaring intensity of the vocals. It's a fine, fine introduction.

The band recorded a live session of their entire forthcoming album 'What Would Happen If Someone Finds Out?', and have shared some of them on youtube, I've picked a couple of my favourites below. "Distant" is fantastic, with brutal, piercing guitars and driven beat it's relentless, loud and gritty. I love it. It's powerful stuff which promises an incredible live show, of which their website promises US and Europe tour dates 'this fall', I'll definitely be on the look out for them.

Listen:          Pink Noise - Dive



No comments:

Post a Comment