Thursday 4 April 2013

Oh So Quiet - New Music "Introducing"

Facebook / ohsoquiet.com

Another discovery thanks to a gig I couldn't go to, London based quintet Oh So Quiet played at The Old Queen's Head on Easter Sunday, about the time I was tucking into a family roast dinner no doubt. It's impossible for me to get to every gig I'd like to with a family and other commitments (including training for a marathon, which according to my running diary - as geeky as it sounds - accounted for some 25 hours in March alone), so and my Easter turned into four family / off days and not quite the all-day music events I'd of liked to have attended, though saying that, I quite enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Anyway, music, Oh So Quiet started as the brother / sister duo of Lucas and Malena Zavala who moved to the UK from Argentina as children and started the band in 2011, adding three multi-national members along the way, their debut self-titled EP is due as a digital download via Cool For Cats Records on April 29th and for now we've got the lead track "Rain at Night" to listen to. Simply put, it is heavenly. Malena leads the song with a vocal as soft and pure as whatever your finest pleasure may be, backed initially by a sparse acoustic guitar the track blossoms amongst subtle musicality with divine harmonies and increasingly radiant instrumentation to become a truly warm and affectionate number that gets better with every listen.

"Water's Fall" is another track that will be on the EP, an early demo version (and a live video) of the track is enough to decide it's another winner, calming and soothing it's the sound of falling in love in slow motion, reflective and introspective amongst subtle rolling percussion and falsetto echoes reminiscent of the depth, beauty and magnificence of Farao / Like Spinning, Bon Iver and the like.

There's more stunning videos to be found on YouTube (and some demo tracks on Soundcloud) that I could equally add my superlatives too, head here or here if you can't get enough of the couple I've added below. Quite magnificent.




1 comment: