Monday 8 July 2013

Franz Ferdinand - Right Action

Facebookfranzferdinand.com

I'm not very good at compiling a list of my favourite ever things, there are just too many bloody things to pick from. I've been to around 500 gigs in my time (I hope I'm not the only one who constantly checks their Songkick accounts in the hope all the old features return when you could actually see how many times you've seen each band) and when asked about my all time favourite gigs it's difficult, I normally would say Prince's 2002 dates at Hammersmith Apollo and the after-show after at the Islington Marquee (now Academy) or more recently Josh T Pearson in Brighton or one of many The Joy Formidable show's.

One gig that does stand-out amongst them though is Franz Ferdinand at Brixton Academy back in 2005, I'd of been 23, it was a Friday night and it was perhaps slightly alcohol fueled after meeting up with an old school friend beforehand but I remember 90 minutes of continuous entertainment, mosh-pits and singalongs (pretty much everything I frown upon now!). That said I can't actually remember the last time I listened to the band until today with the news of their new, fourth album (the follow up to 2009's Tonight), Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Actions - due 27th August with the single "Right Action", detailed below, a week earlier.

The track pulls you straight in with a trademark Franz Ferdinand hook, an infectious chorus combine with a pop-infused grooving bass-line, repeating guitar riffs and analogue synth pomp - accompanied by a great video that could catch on just like the "Take Me Out" one did. It's a pretty perfect pop track that is taking me back to 2004 when I would prance around the office singing "Michael" and "Jacqueline" at colleagues of according names, I've grown up to become the misery I am today since then!

 Not content with one new track, the Glaswegian boys have also shared another track from the album "Love Illumination" which instantly excels with similarly crunching riffs and catchiness - welcome back Franz Ferdinand, your debut is now going to soundtrack this summers' day.

Roxanne Clifford of Veronica Falls features as a guest vocalist on the album too - can't wait to hear that one. If this all takes your fancy, you can pre-order the LP (which includes a rather special, if pricey, looking deluxe version of the LP) via Domino.


No comments:

Post a Comment