Thursday 6 March 2014

Lykke Li #4 - Love Me Like I'm Not Made Of Stone

Facebook / lykkeli.com

I was lucky enough to be in Manchester last Saturday for the BBC 6Music Festival at Victoria Warehouse, playing at around 7pm in what I believe was her first show in a good year or two was Lykke Li, she played an eight song set, the first five all taken from 2011's wonderful Wounded Rhymes and the last three all new ones taken from her forthcoming (final?) LP I Never Learn which is due for release May 5th.

Those three tracks highlighted something slightly different to the track I'm writing about today, the first official track shared from the release "Love Me Like I'm Not Made Of Stone". Where "Never Gonna Love Again" and "No Rest For The Wicked" highlight a big, dramatic 80's power ballad sound "Love Me Like I'm Not Made Of Stone" is a continuation of the heartbreak from Wounded Rhymes, sounding like a long lost cousin of "I Know Places", the track is sparse and confessional with languid, haunting acoustic echoes the sole accompaniment for Lykke's devastating delivery, you can tangibly feel her emotion throughout - what a beauty.

Lykke Li has announced two London shows for May 8th/9th at Village Underground. Normally I'd be happy but I can't make it because it clashes with The Great Escape. If you're still in the Capital, you won't great the decision. The live set the other day was bigger and bolder than anytime I'd previously seen her.

No comments:

Post a Comment