Wednesday 19 March 2014

Zella Day - New Music "Introducing"

Facebook / zelladay.com

I'd not heard of Zella Day, an Arizona native now based in Los Angeles until the other day when an email dropped into my inbox, with over ten thousand fans on her Facebook page already I'm guessing I'm pretty slow on the uptake but perhaps not too slow as her debut single "Sweet Ophelia" is only due for release next month, on April 7th via B3SCI.

The lead track combines big, crunching electro-pop rhythms with an even bigger chorus amongst a strong, dramatic vocal that instantly brings the likes of LDR or Marina Diamandis to mind. After a handful of listens "Sweet Ophelia" has already embedded itself within my brain and is a clear anthem in the making with huge crossover potential.

Yet it's the flip side to the release I'm swooning all over, the slow-motion beauty of the ballad "1965". Armed with Zella's knock-out breathy vocals and some luscious, cinematic strings the western roots of Zella upbringing are firmly on display throughout but it's her startling, shiver-inducing delivery and the rich, mysterious melody that keep making me press the play button.

A fine introduction from a lady I expect to hear much more from in the months to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment