Thursday 26 July 2012

Honeyblood - New Music "Introducing"

Facebook / honeyblood.bandcamp.com/

I'm wondering how I'd not heard of Honeyblood until last night when news that the Glasgow duo (vocalist / guitarist Stina Tweeddale and drummer Shona McVicar) play Vice magazines latest issue launch night at The Old Blue Last came to my attention (well the news that Carousels were playing came to my attention and I listened to the other bands on the bill). It might be a little late for me to get to that show this time (and you too) but I'm sure they'll be plenty of time to make amends down the line and you might want to do that...

Combining an early Blood Red Shoes dynamic of blazing guitar and hard-hitting drums with nonchalant, sun-kissed vocals more in fitting with Best Coast et al Honeyblood's "No Spare Key" is a fine introduction to the pairs simple but effective onslaught. Fuzzed up to fuck, the grizzly, crackled home-made sound of the recording enhances the garage rock aesthetics, chunky, loud and right in your face.

"Super Rat" ditches the racing tempo and feedback drenched guitar for cleaner, slacker pop sensibilities, melodic vocals and lyrics about (presumably) someone who Stina doesn't like all to much "I will hate you forever, you really do disgust me". Ouch.

Other than tonight's show, no further London dates are announced though Honeyblood support Frankie Rose in Brighton tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be back south soon.




2 comments:

  1. Rah Morriss is the new drummer, she played the Vice show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah is the bestest.

    ReplyDelete