Thursday 19 July 2012

Shrag - Canines

Facebook / shrag.co.uk/

As I eluded to in my previous post, another vastly overdue post focuses on the headliners of my June Beautiful Strange show Shrag, the Brighton / London five piece have just released their third album Canines via Fortuna Pop! / WIAIWYA and from its first listen via a promo I was given at the show it has been one of my favourite releases of the year so far (and I'm not lying when I say it gets even better on repeat listens)...

I'll save full album reviews for people better at writing prose than me (see All Music's 8/10, Neon Filler's 9/10 or even NME's 8/10 for that) and instead will focus on the albums two singles so far, most recently the wonderful "Show Us Your Canines" which sums up the feeling of the album perfectly, overwhelming infectious with mood-enhancing melodies, racing rhythms with more bounce than your average trampoline and boy/girl shouty vocals that range from bittersweet to lusciously syrupy.

Equally brilliant is the punchy "Tendons in the Night", Shrag take a tough, fuzzy pop-rock approach to most the album and throughout show themselves capable of effortlessly crafting dance-friendly indie pop gems that are dynamic, distinctive and compulsive. Other highlights include "On The Spines Of Old Cathedrals", "Chasing Consummations" and the slow build-up of the epic closure "Jane With Dumbbells" - the whole fucking thing really.

You can buy Canines on CD or LP delivered for just £10 direct from Fortuna Pop! - do it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment