Friday 23 August 2013

End of the Road 2013 - Festival Preview Part Two

Straight on with part two of my acts to see at next weeks End of the Road festival. If you landed on this page and are interested in seeing the first part - you can do so here. I'll keep the writing on the brief side as every act is one I've covered previously. If you want to hear more click on the labels link at the end of the post.

This year the organisers are promising some exciting secret shows (most likely in the woods), so make sure you keep your eyes peeled for them. Also worth checking out amongst the other activities and Comedy/Cinema tents is the Rough Trade stall. They normally have some great others on releases of bands playing the festival, some exclusives and some signings too (can't say I remember any performances last year). There was a pretty cool music art stall last year too.


Caitlin Rose - Facebook
Woods Stage - Sunday

I'll start the second part of these tips with the most obvious pick of all, Caitlin Rose. Her first show in the UK since early Spring and I can't bloody well wait.

I recently got asked by a friend to describe Caitlin in one word, I replied 'flawless'. I've mentioned her here countless times already, the most recent just the other day so I'll keep that short. Flawless about sums it up to me.



The Staves - Facebook
Woods Stage - Sunday

I've not seen The Staves live since last years Latitude festival when they played a beautiful set to a packed tent as rain threatened outside.

At EotR they play the main stage on Sunday afternoon, it seems the perfect setting to grab a couple of beers and to enjoy some of the sisters heart-melting harmonies from last years exquisite Dead & Born & Grown.



Savages - Facebook
Big Top Stage - Friday

I was lucky enough to see Savages four times before the hype really took over and have been smitten since. Silence Yourself delivered on my every expectation and hope, an album of exhilarating brilliance underpinned by darkly atmospheric rhythms, soaring guitars and Jehnny Beth's unique vocal delivery. It's raw, full of passion and utterly compelling throughout.

Live? Well Savages are even better -  you'll be wanting to add them to your list of must see artists then.



Broken Twin - Facebook
Tipi Tent Stage - Sunday

Broken Twin originally featured here back in June after discovering her via the End of the Road initial line-up, I  had this to say about her track "Beaches":

"The sparse, uncluttered instrumentation, little more than gentle acoustic and piano chords, of the opening track “Beaches” instantly send shivers down your spine as you are introduced to the beguiling tone of Majke’s pure, fragile vocals, wrapping you in a calming yet melancholic state of beauty".

One of the few acts I'm listing I've not seen before, Broken Twin promise to deliver a set that should be something pretty special.



Serafina Steer - Facebook
Friday - Garden Stage

One of my early year highlights was Serafina Steer's album launch show (and the album of course). I doubt Jarvis Cocker will be joining Serafina on stage this time around but what I do know is her set will combine fluttering harp solos with soft, delicate melodies that sporadically burst into life with eccentric, left-field instrumentation and soaring highs.

If that sounds good to you too then you'll want to head to the beautiful garden stage on Friday. Leave your chairs at the back.



Pins - Facebook
Big Top Stage - Friday

Last but certainly not least in this little preview are Pins who are gearing up to release their debut album Girls Like Us. I've been following the Manchester quartet right from their debut to their most recently single "Get With Me" and live their show is the perfect continuation of an electric sound combining searing vocals, incessant rhythms and raw, brooding intensity.

Pins will hold your attention like a magnet - make sure you don't miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment