Tuesday 11 February 2014

Fanfarlo #2 - Landlocked

Facebook / fanfarlo.com

Fanfarlo were a band I adored on their debut album (in fact they were one of this blog first ever posts back in 2009), I remember seeing them play a special, intimate show at a packed, sweltering Servants Jazz Quarters as a last hurrah before they went and recorded album two and then I probably started this blog in full force over the summer of 2010, started spending all my waking hours searching for new music and I honestly don't think I ever listened to album two. A strange move indeed.

I promise to rectify that here and now, my return to the London quintet starts with a listen to "Landlocked", the first single to be taken from the quartet's third album Let's Go Extinct (released yesterday with an eye-appealing bonus CD version available via Rough Trade).

The track is far removed from the bands early folk influences, instead "Landlocked" sees a shift to exuberant, confident pop far away from the songs title, it's party time throughout with calypso rhythms and flourishing melodies sprawling around bright, playful harmonies. Fanfarlo - it's good to have you back on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment