Wednesday 5 February 2014

Marissa Nadler - Was It A Dream / July

Facebookmarissanadler.com

I'm not quite sure why I've never really listened to Marissa Nadler before, despite releasing material at a consistent rate for almost ten years now I don't think I've ever heard her until I recently pressed play on the latest track to be streamed from her forthcoming album July (and first album released by Bella Union here in the UK). Immediately "Was It A Dream" firmly ticks all my boxes, a guazy-like haze of misty-eyed beauty drenched in Marissa's luxurious voice and maudlin guitar strums, her vocal comforts you like a warming blanket and hypnotises you into repeated submersion.

Sitting in the same realms of dark melancholy "Dead City Emily" is equally rewarding, with a pretty guitar melody creating a serenely beautiful mood around a soft soothing vocal, it's the sort of thing dreams are made of.

Follow newbies, you'll probably be wanting to investigate Marissa's back catalouge further now, a fine starting point is Soundcloud which features a whole host of tracks from previous albums, covers and more.

Marissa Nadler plays London's Cafe Oto on April 23rd - tickets. I've already got mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment