Friday 13 June 2014

Alice Boman #6 - Red Eyes

Facebook

You probably noticed the World Cup started yesterday. I spent my evening like pretty much everyone else, watching the game in the hope of a great footballing spectacle from Brazil only to find myself increasing cheering for Croatia as the decisions of the referee continued to impact the result. With England kicking off on Saturday on a pitch that looks utterly horrific, I can only imagine the things I'll be shouting at my TV then... 

The obvious side effect of my increased exposure to football is a decrease in gig attendance (until Glastonbury at least and unless anyone has a spare DeLorean hanging around), yesterday saw me miss an artist I've been meaning to catch up with again for a little while and whom I also missed at The Great Escape due to clashes, Alice Boman. She played at the lovely St Pancras Old Church, the setting was sure to be a match made in heaven...

Yet, as if she knew I was eager for more music from her (her EP II was released just last week and is available via Rough Trade), I popped onto soundcloud before bed and there waiting for me (and the whole Internet) was a track from Alice, a cover of the War on Drugs song "Red Eyes".

It sees Alice add her typical intimacy and stark piano chords to the track, stripped bare of the originals buoyant melody and sparkling synths with the emphasis put firmly onto her haunting vocals, here front and centre; turning a Springsteen-esque rocker into a sad-pop lullaby is something Alice Boman can seemingly do at will, beauty awaits below.

No comments:

Post a Comment