Friday 10 September 2010

Lanterns on the Lake #3 - Live at The Slaughtered Lamb

http://www.lanternsonthelake.bandcamp.com/
http://www.myspace.com/lanternsonthelake

I've posted about Lanterns on the Lake before, but a little reminder always goes down well with me, so for anyone who has yet to listen to this wonderful group, do so, now.

I saw them live for the first time last night, albeit briefly (I had to get from RTE where Caitlin played another wonderful set) and arrived five minutes after their set-time started, and it was a short set (they deserved longer, judging my the CD sales after the gig I think people were impressed - me included).

It was wonderful, I recommended their EP's a while back and I'm happy to say that they are even better live. As with many of my favourite acts, Lanterns add an extra dimension live, a definite wow-factor. The beauty and melancholy of the songs is there, but the brilliant instrumentation and the wonder of Hazel’s voice take the songs to a next level. “A Kingdom” rocked out more than on the EP, which worked wonderfully. Epic. “You Need Better” is another song I manage to hear, it’s atmospheric and gorgeous. It was a shame it ended so soon.
Yes, I can't bloody wait for their next London show. The guy on next said they reminded him of Sigur Ros, there is certainly that element of that. Next time I hope they are higher on a bill and have a longer set, it's needed and deserved.
I did ask the guy doing the merch if any future shows here were planned, but he wasn't too sure, so we'll have to keep our eyes peeled then. An album is expected next year.


Read an interview Hazel did for me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment