Monday 14 May 2012

Alice Jemima #4 - First Love

Facebook / alicejemima.com/

Before I start with my review of The Great Escape festival here's an update on not quite my first love, but certainly one of my latest loves, the exquisite and beautiful Alice Jemima.

The prolific Devon singer-songwriter has shown up here probably more than anyone else in 2012 and here I find myself writing about Alice again after she (for the umpteenth time) causes butterflies inside. The latest of her garageband demo tracks to send me all funny is the aching beauty of "First Love", released whilst I was getting ready to head to Brighton it highlights perfectly why so many of us bloggers have been swept off our feet...

Delicate guitar shimmers and a gently plucked chord rhythm leads the way for Alice's pretty, warming vocals that just like in everything I've heard from Alice so far, it's the deceptive simplicity of her voice / melody combination that shines through. "First Love" is just genuinely gorgeous, Alice's lyrics candid and intimate as she sings to a past love, "you'll always be my first love, but that's the last love, I give to you"... there is good news seemingly for the increasing number of admires as Alice appears to have moved on "There's no point in going backwards, if I can't go forwards with you". Form an orderly line boys...

I make that at least a half dozen wonderful tracks and hopefully news of an EP or wax release is to follow soon. If an MP3 streamed via soundcloud (new listeners can find the rest here) can sound this good, just imagine how warm Alice's voice will be on wax. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment