Tuesday 1 May 2012

Metric - Youth Without Youth

Facebook/www.ilovemetric.com/

I've got a long overdue date with Metric, I've tried (and failed) to see them once (at TGE 2009, which was partly my own fault turning up late but instead I had to cope with muffled sound outside the Honeyclub as wind and rain hammered down on me and other equally unfortunate people, whilst others stood smoking in the foyer of the garden taking up the capacity - something which you may have gathered I'm still bitter about).

Then in May 2010 I had a ticket to see them in London but went to the pub at lunchtime and didn't leave, foolish you might say but after six hours sitting in the same seat drinking it was probably a wise decision... Thankfully, the time to change my duck is afoot. Metric have announced a string of dates and festivals for the forthcoming months, most importantly for me is a chance to finally catch them live at Shepherds Bush Empire on July 2nd - full dates / tickets.

The reason for the shows wasn't the bands generosity to allow me to see them, yesterday the Canadian four-piece shared the first single from their new album 'Synthetica' (due June 12th), "Youth Without Youth". The album's title is somewhat apt to describe the sound, from the hard-hitting drum intro the track revels in 80's synth, with dark industrial rhythms and a stomping beat it sounds like they've been enjoying a few old Depeche Mode LP's over the past few years, huge guitar and Emily's trademark vocals equally prominent, "Youth Without Youth" is a beast, hypnotic and catchy, bring on the rest of the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment