Thursday 14 April 2011

Valentina - New Music "Introducing"


Facebookhttp://www.valentinamusic.co.uk/

Okay I lied in my last post, it's my blog I'm allowed... Instead the next post is a new artist I found just last night thanks to Rough Trade's Twitter account, I think that's a first - to discover an artist thanks to a random re-tweet! I originally thought it was a mention of a release by Valentina Mushy (perhaps I wouldn't have clicked on it if I knew it wasn't), in fact it was a release for London based (guessing by her London gigging history - I couldn't actually find any bio information) Valentina who is just about to release her debut EP, 'Weights'.

Rough Trade's description was enough to arouse my interest so I headed to Google, found her website and listened to the rather brief snippet of her track "Heart of Glass" (which I have embedded below), what a bloody tease that was! It was more than enough to have me hooked and five minutes later in posession of the stream of the release, two listens later I started this post. 'Weights' is a wonderful debut release exhibiting ridiculous promise on five intelligently crafted organic songs with a varied and captivating sound.

"Heart of Glass", (not a Blondie cover) is a piano led lament which gradually builds with a stunningly powerful chorus and choir-like ooh's backing leading to a wonderful emotionally charged climax. The EP's other book-end is also a piano number, opener "Weights in the World"  is seven minutes in length yet feels three, a slow burning and delicate introduction leads to a beautifully melodic sparkling waltz, Valentina's sumptuous voice is the highlight throughout.

The other three tracks are more traditional introspective singer / songwriter, best exemplified on "It's A Line", a beautiful fractured ballad where simple arrangements, just a bare acoustic guitar and Valentina's tender voice, allow you to enter her personal memories in such way as you feeling you're snooping on an intimate disclosure, the backing harmonisations are simply the die for, and then "You Never Dance", a sparse and tender ethereal tale of love falling apart. This talented lady looks to have a great future ahead, I didn't use the word gorgeous on purpose till now, that's what this is, utterly f-ing gorgeous.

I've added the EP to my shopping list for my trip to Rough Trade (Record Store Day!!!) on Saturday, the EP is out everywhere on Monday 18th April. Listen below and order if you are so inclined, you should be.

Valentina - Heart Of Glass
Valentina - It's A Line


Heart Of Glass from Valentina Pappalardo on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment