Saturday 1 October 2011

News Round Up - 1st October


A Saturday round-up follows, I've fallen way behind again thanks to month-end overload and a hectic schedule of gigs, I'll catch up as and when I can. Here are some quite wonderful things I've discovered this week;

I've mentioned Erika M. Anderson, better known as EMA quite a bit recently, I'm doing so again because another breathtaking session has turned up, a new version of "Butterfly Knife". I mentioned just how much I love EMA's normal live version of the track here, this one sees the dissonance of frenetic, grungey guitar shredding and crashing percussion shift for an equally intense version of droning guitars and moody grand piano. EMA, you are truly amazing.


EMA - "California" (Daytrotter Session)

I Break Horses released the second (of three) 'Bedroom Sessions' videos yesterday, this one is for "Hearts" and just like "Winter Beats" it's stunning. Staying quite faithful to the studio version, a beautiful contrast of light and dark through glistening soundscapes, soft keys, pulsating rhythms and echoing guitars. Maria stands almost trance like, gently swaying with both hands on her microphone as she sings her beautiful, ethereal vocals. Incredible.

The embed seems to crash my computer at the moment, but you can view it at the following link; I Break Horses - 'Hearts' (Bedroom Sessions)
I Break Horses - Winter Beats

Zola Jesus performed one of my favourite gigs of the year on Monday at Toynbee hall, she was phenomenal, her stunning voice and entracing stage presence combined perfectly with the foreboding synths (all three of them) and military drumming, it was quite wonderful. I cannot wait to see Nika again at Heaven in November (especially as she's backed by EMA!). The encore version of "Run Me Out" was stunning, her voice would give Simon Cowell sleepless nights, thankfully this star is already shining much brighter than anything that has come from him 'show'. Her frenetic cymbal bashing at the end of "Collapse" and the majestic "Night" other highlights. Zola Jesus released her second album 'Conatus' last week, it's quite wonderful, I've listened to it about a dozen times already, expect it to feature high in my year end lists. Get it here.


Zola Jesus - Run Me Out (Acoustic Version)

Brighton's finest (well up there anyway) Esben & The Witch have annouced something to be released on November 7th via the teaser trailer below, I've seen speculation that it's an EP called 'Hexagons' and will contain six exclusive tracks, if that is the case consider me excited. The band are set to play London's Corsica Studios on Wednesday 16th November - tickets. If you haven't got their debut full-length Violet Cries and the Record Store Day 12" get them asap because they are quite simply exquisite.


Esben and the Witch - Marching Song

Fanfarlo produced one of (in my opinion) 2009's most consistent and impressive albums with 'Reservoir', they've taken some time to record the follow-up but recently shared a video for the first single "Replicate, it's safe to say that it's excellent. Wonderfully produced throughout with sporadic noises, luscious orchestral arrangements and harmonious vocals. Incredibly addictive after a couple of listen, I for one can't wait to hear more. Fanfarlo were really great when I saw them live at Dalston's Servants Jazz Quarters before the set out to record the second album so I'll be excited to catch them again at Cargo on November 21st - tickets.


Fanfarlo - Replicate

No comments:

Post a Comment