Wednesday 26 October 2011

Summer Camp #6 - Down + More

Facebook

The wonderful Summer Camp release their long awaited debut next week and this post acts as a summary of various updates from the band, I'll start with news that if you want to pledge to receive a signed copy of their debut album, a CD of demos, handwritten lyrics and a whole host of other exclusives you've only got three more days to do so - go to Pledge Music and find something to suit just about anyone and any budget.

The band have released a seasonally themed Halloween video for new track "Down", it's a song I can remember being a highlight of the show when I first saw the band way back in June 2010 supporting Slow Club, of course I didn't know it was called "Down" then, in fact I don't remember the Down bit at all but I do recall the infectious "my life, your life" and the wonderful scuzzy riff, it sticks in my memory alongside fellow album track "1988" as being the highlights of that early show, since of course I've found many more. "Down" confirms the duo's knack at seamlessly combining irresistibly catchy melodies with heart-warming vocals, the perfect mood enhancing track, though not exactly the song I'd turn to for a "spooky" Halloween party.

You can also download (as always for free) a typically wonderful session from Daytrotter that contains four tracks offering a perfect cross section of the Summer Camp catalogue thus far and also a cover of Wreckless Eric's "Whole Wide World", the highlight of which is a stunning piano and vocal version of "I Want You", transforming the track into a haunting ballad that adds a real sense of drama and shows that there is so much more to the sugar-coated retro synth-pop which first put them into the blogosphere.

Edit - If you can't wait for the release of 'Welcome to Condale' next week, you can stream the album in full, via Prefix Mag right now, head here to listen to all twelve sexual tracks.

Down by Summer Camp
Summer Camp - I Want You (Daytrotter Session)

No comments:

Post a Comment