Friday 9 November 2012

Clytem Scanning #4 - Carnival

Facebook / clytemscanning.com

If you have read this blog for a while now you might remember be going all gooey for Parisian electro Goddess Clytem Scanning at the start of last year, my introduction was the stunning "Massue" which I originally called "a brooding, electronic sound that's made for a post 'Judgement Day Terminator', a dark terrifying world where machines rule", I think that pretty much summed it up.

The debut full-length Armada followed later and dazzled with a combination of propulsive, edgy experimentation and giant dance-electro songs. I've been waiting for more music from Clytem Scanning to come my way since and today that happened, when I was fortunate enough to be one of the (approx) 15% of 'fans' that get to see a facebook update from Marianne...

It announced "Carnival", taken from her forthcoming second album Mirada Fuerte (due 13th November and self-described as a mixture of Blood, Eroticism, Witchcraft and Ankoku Dance…), if anything it's even more terrifying and sinister than "Massue" with video footage to match "Carnival" is here to give you nightmares, full of crunching beats and crashing metallic samples with the doom-laden chanting of Marianne punishing the listener to submission, Clytem Scanning is back and darker than ever...

A trip to Marianne's website tells me I've been slow with finding news of the second album with some earlier videos also posted, "Dawn Be Gone" is the icy aftermath of the apocalypse, exuding a haunting ambiance with Marianne lying on the floor covered in blood on its video seemingly singing painful words amongst raw, repetitive pulses it chills the soul while "I Am Gold" hits equally hard with its penetrative warbles, brutal and minimalist, it's safe to say that I'm looking forward to hearing more soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment