Sunday 27 February 2011

Cold In Berlin - New Music "Introducing"

http://www.coldinberlin.com/ http://www.facebook.com/coldinberlinband

I'm pretty good at casting off music within thirty seconds, liking something within that same time-scale is a much rarer thing. That thing happened with Cold in Berlin. Enter your new favourite punk rock band (and your parents least favourite). "Destruction" had me instantly hooked, with its unremorseful, menacing and brutal assault on the ear-drums.

"God I Love You" kicks quite the punch, the frenetic screams of vocalist Maya bring the JMTIL favourite quote "sounds like a cross between Karen O / Siouxsie" back with vengeance, just add a dash of Shirley Manson. With sinister guitar hooks, machine-gun drums and the best opening lines I can think of, "I had a girl and she was perfect // So I decided I would fuck her " Cold in Berlin have an in their arsenal an absolute monster of a track.

"Inertia" starts with fuzzy rock sounds before exploding at the mid way point with a brazen attitude, sharp riffs, pounding beats and, of course, ferocious vocal delivery. "White Horse" is unsettling and utterly brilliant; "There is no white horse // You’re a stupid little fucker if you thought there was".

The album is so explosive that I could continue to use superlatives on every track, but I'm sure you've got the idea. If you like dark, punky music with a fuck you attitude and exceptional delivery then Cold in Berlin will be right up your street. I've read a few reviews of their album which seem to be dismissive purely on the basis that there are a few cuss-words involved - I didn't realise it was 1900?

I feel I'm slow on board with CiB, the one gig they've played since I discovered them I had to miss (though I'll be getting to the next one I can) but I am pretty convinced the bands live show will be mesmerising and pretty fucking insane.

You can get their debut album 'Give Me Walls' direct from the band for eight pounds delivered - mine arrived in two days. Go here. 8.7 / 10

God I Love You by coldinberlin

Inertia by coldinberlin

No comments:

Post a Comment