Wednesday 20 October 2010

Terror Bird - New Music "Introducing"

http://www.myspace.com/xterrorbirdx

I've been saving back this post for a while... For reasons that I'll come to another time...About two months ago I came across Terror Bird, a Canadian duo from Vancouver, featuring Nikki Never on vocals / keys and Jeremiah Haywood on drums... I was blown away from the outset of the first song I heard "Shadows in the Halls".

To pigeonhole the sound (something I hate to do, as I'm rubbish at it!) it's dark synth art pop / lo-fi electronica sound, not too dissimilar from some of Zola Jesus' earlier material but with Nikki's wonderful melodic vocals.

The lyrics are generally touching, moody and dark but when required they manage to capture a catchy choruses such as on the aforementioned "Shadows..." which results in a huge tune made by the sweeping synths, the drumming tends to be understated and low in the mix, where the main focus of the songs are Nikki's voice and lyrics.

The wonderful "Shame is on Your Side" sounds like a bombastic 80's revival romantic pop song a la Cocteau Twins but contains some dark lyrics that defy it's indie pop sounds. "Sometimes it seems like I speak a different language then everyone else // I flatten here alone, debasing on the floor // Everything slips through my fingers, but do you?"...

"We Were Monsters" is just exquisite, a heartfelt yet chilling song, the lyrics are really emotional and touching. I tried to quote a sample, but it ended up being almost the whole song;
So, just listen to it below and fall in love with Terror Bird yourself... To be continued...

Terror Bird - We Were Monsters by morrisday

Terror Bird - Shame Is On Your Side by morrisday

Head over to Last.fm to get an Bedroom Pop EP for FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment