Monday 6 December 2010

Tips for 2011 - Fifteen Bands Who've Caught My Eye (Part One)

Every blog under the sun will have a go at picking the next years Warpaint / Best Coast / xx, so I might as well do too. Although, straight up, mine isn't going to be quite the same as the BBC Sound of 2011 which will feature James Blake and some others maybe along the lines of Cults, Tennis and Clare Maguire from the indie blog scene, another probable are the NME's new favourites (awful too) The Vaccines, the new (and unbelievably shit) "Kings of Leon"  Mona and then not forgetting the token Rap artist too.

I could do that, but that would be defeating the object of this blog, which is basically me just rambling about music I like for no real reason. So, my list consists of fifteen acts that I've been following for a varying amount of time, that in my opinion are well worth your time investigating, and that I think will produce some of the best music (in my opinion) of 2011.

I'll split this into three posts over the next couple of days, a song and video will follow each artist and then at the end they'll be a mix-tape for you to listen / download. There were so many bands I could have done, and a couple were tough to miss out, in the end I've gone for newer acts rather than bands such as The Duke Spirit who are returning for their third album next year, so basically the only rules are that I have to like them and the artist cannot yet have released a full length album (a couple of my picks do have mini albums already).

06/12 EDIT - The sound of 2011 is out: Here is the long-list - pretty predictable imo, not going to say any more!

Part One - In No Particular Order.

1. Stricken City

www.strickencity.com/

One of my favourite new bands that I've been in love with since I first discovered them in December 2009 supporting The Joy Formidable. Stricken City who've released two fantastic 7"s and a mini-album 'Songs About People I Know' in 2009, they've spent much of 2010 out of the spotlight apart from the digital release of "Animal Kingdom" and a recent teaser in the form of the divine "Losing Colour".

Their early sound was ultimately sweet indie-pop, the newer songs hint a more mature, harder sound. With Rebekah Raa's wonderful, energetic lead and syrupy vocals commanding your full attention I hope that 2011 will bring a full album, tour and ultimately a much deserved success for the band. After seeing them for the fourth time live back in September I think it will. "Corridors", "Losing Colour" and a new version of "Lost Art" all sound lush.

Listen:
Stricken City - Losing Colour by morrisday

Watch:


2. Still Corners

http://stillcorners.bandcamp.com/

I discovered Still Corners because of their all to fleeting track "Wish". If you were to look them up in the dictionary it would say something similar to "beautifully hazy indie-pop gems".

Comparisons to Beach House are immediate with the dreamy, ethereal quality of their tracks. Live the sound is alot more expansive which works wonders for my ears and I cannot wait to catch them again and see what else they have in store for us. If the band can follow up the "Don't Fall In Love" single then they'll be a sure fire success.

It is their live sound that has me the most excited though, the dreamy vocals still fill the air, combined with soaring guitars and big drums which make their sound more shoegazey and for lack of a better word, utterly fantastic.

Listen:
Still Corners - Endless Summer by morrisday
Watch:


3. Esben & the Witch 
www.esbenandthewitch.co.uk/

Esben & The Witch create some spectacular soundscapes, their signature sounds is an intimidating, eerie music that at its core is deep and rich electronica with a thumping bassline, their lyrics that of a goth fairytale carried so perfectly by Rachel Davies beautiful haunting vocals.

If you've a taste for dark, gloomy Tim Burton esque soundtracks then Esben and the witch may well be your favourite band of 2011. I've been into Esben since they self released their debut EP '33 (think my CD copy might become a collectors item) and since they've managed to increase the atmosphere in their recordings. Live their sound is even more intense and I highly recommend that you go and see them on their Feb tour.

They've now signed to Matador and their debut album 'Violet Cries' comes out in early 2011 and is one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

Listen:
Esben & The Witch - Warpath by morrisday

Watch:


4. Lanterns on the Lake

http://lanternsonthelake.bandcamp.com/

I get the feeling something big is on the horizon for Lanterns on the Lake. Three self released EP's have given them some wonderful critical acclaim and playing on Bella Union's Xmas bash certainly shows they've got some industry regard. It's not hard to see why with such wonderful songs as "Lungs Quicken", "A Kingdom" and "You Need Better".

I've only seen Lanterns once to date and that was only for about six songs at 'The Slaughtered Lamb' back in September, that will change next year, for a start they'll be higher up the billing and hopefully an album release will put them into the view of a wider audience. Their music is lush, reminiscent to some Sigur Ros output, combined with Hazel's beautiful voice, it's tranquil, peaceful and simply gorgeous.

Live there was an added intensity which always works for me, bands that work on more than one dimension always go up a notch on my approval rating. Really excited for what comes next from Lanterns on the Lake.

Listen:
Lungs Quicken by Lanterns on the Lake

Watch:


5. Veronica Falls
http://veronicafalls.com/

Veronica Falls are a London based band who have released a couple of wonderful releases this year and look to follow that up with a debut LP next year.

"Found Love in a Graveyard" is one of my songs of the year, it is a lovely little ramshackle of infectious and basically bloody brilliant indie pop and one song which sums up the mood of Veronica Falls very well.
Fast paced, lyrically dark and to coin one of my most used lines on this blog; gorgeous ethereal vocals. "Starry Eyed" a jangly sugary-sweet pop song shows them in a slightly lighter frame of mind, but one equally good.

Listen:
Veronica Falls - Found Love In A Graveyard by morrisday

Watch:

No comments:

Post a Comment