Wednesday 8 December 2010

Tips for 2011 - Fifteen Bands Who've Caught My Eye (Part Three)

Here is the third part of my hopes for 2011 thread. Here are parts one and two.

11. Memoryhouse
http://memoryhouse.tumblr.com/

A bloggers favourite in 2010, and one that appear to fulfil the hype after their three or four releases so far. Ontario based dreampop duo Memoryhouse encapture a woozy yet beautiful sound. Highlighted best on their 'Caregiver' single. The title track is a dreamy wonder and b-side "Heirloom" is the most up-tempo song we've heard from Memoryhouse so far, and also one of the best.

You can download a free EP from the band and also check out the 'Lately EP' which is also wonderful. They've also done some wonderful covers including My Bloody Valentine and Grizzly Bear.

Listen:
Memoryhouse - Caregiver by morrisday

Watch:


12. 2:54

www.myspace.com/thetwofiftyfour

2:54 received a flurry of blog attention in the summer and are yet to release any further material. I saw them a couple of times in the autumn firstly supporting Blood Red Shoes where I thought they were good to ok but not unlike anything I'd seen before, then again with Warpaint and I thought they were excellent.

Their sound is a moody, dirty shoegaze / grunge full of reverb, distortion and noise. Hopefully they've been building on their solid base and will come back in 2011 with a new set of songs as good as the first three.

Listen:
2:54 - Creeping by morrisday

13. Ramona
www.myspace.com/weloveramona

Will Ramona be 2011’s answer to Blondie? Yes. That's a very simple answer, and a truthful one. Their punk-influenced indie-pop songs are strong enough that even without the striking good looks of lead-singer Karen Anne, Ramona would be big news. Infectious guitar riffs mark their energetic live show.


Highlights of their material so far are "Gorgeous Garbage" a wonderful ballad with shimmering guitar lines and beautiful vocals, the first song that got my attention "Steve McQueen" with it's anthemic uh-uh-uhs and "Tell That Girl" an electro tinged, indie-pop smash hit in the making.


Signed to Columbia, managed by Sharleen Spiteri; what it all adds up to is that Ramona are gonna be a big, big news in 2011.

Listen:
Ramona - Steve McQueen by morrisday

Watch:


14. Gazelle Twin

The newest discovery on this list. Gazelle Twin is a musical artist from Brighton who creates some sublime, eerie electronica with a gorgeous ghostly vocal which add up to a hauntingly beautiful yet freakily disturbing twist on electronic music.

Her debut single "Changelings" and it's B-side Prince cover blew me away.  It's brooding synths and ethereal vocals are very much my thing and they were done to perfection here and the demos on her myspace site demos hint at massive sounding Fever Ray styled gothic masterpieces to come.
I've got a feeling her shows in 2011 could be some of the most visually stunning of the year.

Listen:
Gazelle Twin - Changelings by morrisday

Watch:


15. The Joy Formidable
www.thejoyformidable.com/

As if I was going to do a tips post and not mention The Joy Formidable!

I really don't need to add too much on this post, if you've read this blog you'll know from the 50 previous posts that TJF are my band to watch.

If you are new here, then listen up, The Joy Formidable are going to blow the cobwebs off 2011 on January 24th when their long overdue Debut LP 'The Big Roar' arrives.

Make sure you've got it on order now and see them on their UK tour in Feb, European tour in Feb / March. I'm sure the states will get them again afterwards.

Listen:
The Joy Formidable - my beerdrunk soul is sadder than a hundred dead christmas trees by morrisday

Watch:
------------

So that's my list. 11 out of the 15 are from the UK, go us! I had another ten bands or so that I could have included, but I've gone with these (all fifteen are female vocalists - sorry boys! Not sure if I can be accused of anti-sexism - does that even exist?!). A lot of these fit within a similar genre too, so sorry if you are not massively into indie-pop / indie-rock / electronica! I guess this is the style of music that is exciting me most at the moment...

I've kind of ignored the folkier side here. There are some great upcoming acts I've featured recently such as Daughter / Stealing Sheep / Georgia Ruth / Escapists who I'm looking forward to seeing and listening to their next releases.

I've compiled a mix-tape for you to download of one of my favourite tracks for each artist. Feel free to download  share around with your friends / blog (just put a link to this post). Hope you enjoy it:

Just Music That I Like's artists to watch in 2011 by morrisday

Who are your tips for 2011? Let me know in the comments box below and I'll promise to give them a listen, as long as they aren't Hip-Hop / R&B / Rap acts!

No comments:

Post a Comment