Sunday 27 March 2011

Alex Winston - New Music "Introducing"

Facebook

It has taken me more plays than normal to decide if I like Alex Winston or not, I've decided that I do. I'm not sure what it was that made me take so long (I started this post in January), probably the poppy, girlie charm her songs naturally possess, or, more likely that whilst she is certainly on the borderline between independent and commercial, I do fear that a 'Marina' could happen. By that I don't mean becoming popular, I mean following up her original versions of  "Obsession" and "I am Not a Robot" with such dross as "Shampain".

For now I'll stick with the material I've available and say that she has definitely won me over with her distinctive voice and EP which is full of saccharine sweet and catchy pop numbers. Stand-outs for me are the stripped down acoustic "Don't Care About Anything" and the infectious "Choice Notes", uplifting in melody and kooky in vocal, a combination on display throughout most of the EP.

Alex is in the UK in May, dates below:

May 10, King Tuts, Glasgow
May 12, The Cooler, Bristol
May 13, The Great Escape - Horatios, Brighton
May 14, Futuresonic Festival - Gorilla, Manchester
May 15, The Sugar Club, Dublin
May 18, XOYO, London

Sister Wife by Alex Winston

Choice Notes by Alex Winston

You can hear more, along with a handful of covers at Alex's soundcloud page.

No comments:

Post a Comment