Thursday 17 March 2011

Saint Saviour #2 - A Proper Introduction

http://saintsaviour.co.uk/

I posted about Saint Saviour one busy weekend with the promise to fill in the post properly; now two weeks have passed so I thought it best to do a proper thread otherwise you might just miss out on this, and believe me, you don't want to.

I didn't know it until recently but I have come across Saint Saviour (real name Becky Jones) before in electro-dance trio The RGB's, I saw them late one night in 2008 at The Great Escape and if memory serves me correctly they were a wild, energetic group whose show was spunky and damn-right fun.

Saint Saviour is a different proposition, a solo project with a genre difficult to pigeon-hole, synth heavy chamber pop is what I'll go with. What is clear though is that Becky possesses an astonishing voice that unlike so many of the more recent chart dominating big-lunged ladies really does strike a chord with a spine-tingling emotive vocal, beautifully produced songs and dark-tinged lyrics of love, death and loss.

After a vinyl single entitled 'Woman Scored' release last October, Saint Saviour's debut EP has recently seen the light of day, the four track 'Anatomy EP' transfixes you on first play with it's grandiose and impassioned approach, opening with the evocative "This Ain't No Hymn' with electro bass-lines pulsing through it's beat combined with a dramatic choir styled vocal it's a perfect showcase for Becky's extraordinary talents. There is a brooding and mechanised synth-heavy beat through "Birdsong" which makes you think of (and I must have used this analogy for about six of the last ten posts, sorry!) Fever Ray with Kate Bush on vocals.

The second half of the EP slows the pace, "Reasons" starts off as a achingly sad piano-led ballad building to a euphoric closing crescendo while last track (and probably my favourite) "Hurricanes" is a heartbreaking track sung by a siren. Fuzzy organ and gentle percussion cumulates to one of the most beautiful and well-crafted tracks I've heard for some time, the only downside I've managed to come up with after a whole morning spent with this EP is that it's all over in 17 minutes.

You can purchase the 'Anatomy EP' from the Saint Saviour shop here, ltd to 200 CD's I'd advise you to move quickly.

Fallen Trees by Saint Saviour

Saint Saviour - Birdsong

No comments:

Post a Comment