Sunday 13 March 2011

Nicole Atkins #2 - An Interview with Nicole Atkins

http://www.nicoleatkins.com/

I've not done an interview for a little while but when I was offered the chance to put a few questions to Nicole Atkins I of course jumped at the chance.

Nicole's second album 'Mondo Amore' is due in the UK next month, four years after her debut 'Neptune', quite a gap and one which sees her return with a new band and label.
'Mondo Amore' is a big, bold and deeply personal album, containing well-crafted and incredibly well-written songs about heartbreak and, though it's subject themes are close to the bone it's never bitter.

Lead single "Vultures" is a perfect introduction, an imposing, gritty bass-line, beautiful melodies and a dark, sombre theme. "Cry, Cry,Cry" is a mainstream power-pop hit that would take Adele to the top of the charts, certainly the most likely single success on the album.

Varying styles are on display, seductive crooning on "Hotel Plaster" to one of my favourites "You Come to Me" which is fast-paced and distinctly Rock 'n' Roll. Others worthy of mention include the haunting "Heavy Boots" and the exceedingly gorgeous closure "The Tower". Throughout thought the absolute highlight is the knock-out vocal performance of Nicole.

Thank you ever so much for your time, Nicole.

What inspired you to start making music? 

I grew up in the age of MTV. When I was 7 I was constantly watching music videos and listening in to my older brothers Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath records. When my grandmother would watch us I'd listen to all the old Sun Studio recordings of Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison. My parents always had Sinatra and Frank Zappa playing in the house. Music is what I most identified with in the world at a young age and 14 years before I wrote my first song, I always knew it was something I would end up doing.

Of your own songs, which are you proudest of and what track is the most fun to play live?

I'm proud of any song I finish but as of right now the song that I enjoy listening to and playing live the most would be "The Tower." Even though its only 6 minutes long it feels like an entire movie. It's filled with drama and heartache and musically it goes from tiny to towering. no pun intended.

Which artists do you feel have influenced your work and continue to do so?

I've always been inspired by Sinatra's phrasing, Lee Hazelwood's writing, Harry Nilsson's singing, Scott Walker's imagery and melodrama, the menace of bands like Love and the Sonics, Nick Cave, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bill Withers, Traffic, Nina Simone, Angelo Badalamente, the HAIR soundtrack, old country music and Louisianna swamp blues. 

Which song do you wish you had written?

Ave Maria and "The Air that I Breathe" from Albert Hammond 

What's the best gig you've attended in recent memory? Or a band that you’ve played with who impressed you? 

We recently did a tour with the Black Keys. I've been seeing them live for about 8 years now and it was really inspiring and amazing to see them now playing in front of thousands of people just owning it. It was also a blast getting to share in that moment with them and open the shows. It re-instilled my theory that hard work and good taste will always prevail. And Pat and Dan can make more noise than most bands with ten more members. They're beasts! Other than that the other best show I saw this year was Tame Impala. I went two nights in a row at Bowery Ballroom. It felt like seeing early Pink Floyd for the first time.

If you were to curate an ATP event, who would you want to invite along?

Oh that would be a trip. If I were to curate ATP I would invite Blind Faith Reunion feat. Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Dungen, Tame Impala, Spiritualized performing "Ladies and Gentlemen we are floating in Space," the Jim Jones Review, Flat Duo Jets, Brian Jonestown Massacre, the Last Shadow Puppets, Black Angels, Dead Meadow, Wanda Jackson and Loretta Lynn with Jack White, Patti Smith performing "Horses," Dan Auerbach with Buddy Guy, Bill Withers, Queens of the Stone Age with Mark Lanegan, PJ Harvey, the London Suede, Bryan Ferry with Angelo Badalamente performing Roxy Music

Recommend an artist that isn’t getting the attention they deserve.
There is a band from Brooklyn called Minerva Lions. I'm obsessed with them. They are like the Beatles meets Howling Wolf, meets Talk Talk. They have a 5 song EP and I listen to it on repeat 10 times in a row and dont get bored. I also think the songwriter Robert Harrison of Austin Texas's Cotton Mather and Future Clouds and Radar is one of the best poets and psychedelic artists of our time. He has a way of making psychedelic pop records that sound completely fresh and modern and in no way retro. 
------------------------

Thanks again to Nicole.

Although the album is already out in the States, ‘Mondo Amore’ is released in the UK on April 4th through Proper Records. UK Tour Dates to follow. Track-listing and pre-order from amazon.




No comments:

Post a Comment