Monday 1 November 2010

Kitten #2 - Live at Camden Barfly


Further to my post last week, I did go to check out Kitten and Ramona at the Barfly on Friday night. I'm very glad I managed to get my tired bones to Camden as I had another great night.

The stand-out were definitely Kitten, they literally blew me away with a relentless, energetic 45 minute show of spellbinding indie rock that started with a cover of "Transmission" before showcasing their EP and some other songs I wasn't familiar with. It's fair to say the set has given them the tag of "my favourite new band".

On hearing the EP I labelled them with indie-pop, I'd certainly upgrade that sound for the live show, their set was full of frantic raw emotion that completely belied their age (apart from some repeated shouts of "we're called Kitten and we're from LA" - we got it the first time!). For a self professed "bunch of kids" the show was amazing. Chloe has a stage presence that draws comparisons to Karen O and as a live act Yeah Yeah Yeahs are probably a very good choice of similarity. There stint of London shows is now over but they are playing a few shows in LA. Next time they are back in London, I'll be there.

You can watch two live songs from a recent CMJ show here and you can order their debut 7" here - a CD version of the 'Sunday School' EP looks penned in for a December release.

The song "Kitten With A Whip" was so good live, Chloe was crawling around the floor and looking pretty crazy, loved it. Listen to the EP version of "Kill The Light" below:
Kitten - Kill The Light by infinityyeah

No comments:

Post a Comment