Tuesday 16 November 2010

Leelou - New Music "Introducing"

www.myspace.com/leeloulovesyou

I downloaded a couple of tracks by Leelou (aka Rebekah Dobbins) from my inbox a little while ago and put them into my library as I normally do, but it wasn't until last weekend when one randomly came onto my player whilst I was doing some menial tasks that I was prompted to investigate her further, I stopped tidying up for the impending arrival of my auntie to see what exactly was playing, it was Leelou's track "Kiss Like Carnivores".

Her Ep 'Kiss. Death. Love. Come.' came out last week (Buy on iTunes) with a rather striking cover.

Four driven post-punk songs with relentless energy and a grunge edge. Leelou has a great voice, there is a gothic pop star in waiting here, I hope she continues with this dark, moody punk-rock rather than a Marina style release of an album that is way over-produced and then transform into Pop Princess for the T4 brigade.

"Burn Your Houses Down" immediately grabs your attention with it's punky percussion and vocals yet maintains a catchy pop chorus, better though is the next track "Kill For Your Love", gritty and uncompromising, it contains lyrics featuring the EP's great title 'Kiss. Death. Love. Come.', the tempo increases yet another notch with "Gasoline", an edgy, and rousing song that could well become her anthem before "Kiss Like Carnivores" closes with it's driving drum and guitar work. Immediate comparisons for me are Siouxsie and Nirvana.

Though, I think the honour of my favourite track goes to the bonus track "Pig in the Summer", it's simply amazing. A talking narrative combined with some piano make this song a wonderful come-down from the relentless energy of the previous four songs, the highlight though is screeching guitar work.
It's a wonderful end to this promising debut EP. I've certainly added Leelou to my "to see live" list.

Here is a sample track, the one that made me investigate Leelou: You can find more on Leelou's Soundcloud - no need for me to up them to mine...
Kiss like Carnivores by Leelou

No comments:

Post a Comment