Tuesday 25 January 2011

Birds of Passage - New Music "Introducing"

http://soundcloud.com/birdsofpassagemusic / Facebook

I've got Sophie from Her Name is Calla to thank for the discovery of Birds of Passage after she posted the above SoundCloud link on the bands twitter page. The two will be on tour together in April (hopefully - see below) in what could be that will be rather a special tour.

Birds of Passage is Alicia Merz from New Zealand, who like the aforementioned Calla produces some of the most stunning and beautiful music you'll ever hear. An introspective, minimalist approach throughout creating a hazy, dreamlike mood through Alicia's perfect hushed yet ethereal vocals.


There are sixteen tracks on her soundcloud page so we really have been spoiled. I'll pick just a few below to help you to fall for her just as I did:

"The Monster Inside You" highlights Alicia's ability to create ambient soundscapes with just her voice and the gentle instrumentation:
the monster inside you (demo) by birds of passage

This one is truly stunning, using a guitar and a breathless vocal to stunning affect:
silence in sound (demo) by birds of passage

One more, otherwise I'll be posting about them all and running out of adjectives! "I have My Heart" a little darker than the others above with an eerie, brooding atmosphere, equally sublime:
i have my heart (demo) by birds of passage

In a project similar to Pledge Music which some UK artists have recently used Alicia is fundraising via Indie Go Go: http://www.indiegogo.com/birdsofpassagetour - Birds of Passage are trying to raise $3,000 to fund the European tour I mentioned. Listen, enjoy and then give whatever is in your means on the link above. 

I've put my money where my mouth is and donated already and I'll encourage you and your friends to do the same. I was already looking forward to the Calla London date (well it's TBA at the minute), the chance for Birds of Passage as well truly is icing on the cake.  I hope some of the tracks on the SoundCloud are involved with this project - would love them on my mp3 player. 

An album is also due on the Denovali label - I'll be keeping an eye out for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment