Thursday 6 January 2011

Braids - New Music "Introducing"


Braids are a bit of a 'buzz band' at the moment, the Canadian experimental quartet appear to be justifying it with the quality of the tracks I've heard, with a debut album 'Native Speaker' due on 18th Jan in the US/Canada we'll soon know if the band have managed to build on the quality and produce perhaps one of the best debut albums of 2011.

The single "Lemonade" is a seven minute slow-burning, swirling masterpiece of ambient shoegaze, a hypnotic guitar riff and a beautiful soft vocal. Listen below:

BRAIDS 'Lemonade' by kaninerecords

Another track I've heard is "Plath Heart" which is similar in quality to "Lemonade"; combining gorgeous harmonies, multi-layered melodies and fizzing guitar rhythm but is a shorter, more urgent offering.

Both tracks are instantly rewarding and are getting me excited for the album which I'm yet to hear, pretty sure I'll be back on here raving about it once I have!

Braids - Plath Heart by morrisday

Comparisons for me have to start at Dirty Projectors / Angel Deradoorian but Braids have crafted a experimental, dreamy sound that for me is quite unique.

You can download a free live performance from the ever amazing nyctaper here.

Braids - 2010-11-30, Knitting Factory, Brooklyn, NY  USA
Tracks [Total Time 34:42]
01 Peach Wedding>
02 Lemonade>
03 Candy Spills>
04 Native Speaker
05 banter
06 Glass Deers

Watch this wonderful live perforance of Lemonade:

Braids perform an interlude into Lemonade at Knitting Factory BK from BlearyEyedBrooklyn.com on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment