Tuesday 10 August 2010

Caitlin Rose #5 - An Interview with Caitlin Rose

http://www.thecaitlinrose.com/
http://www.myspace.com/caitlinrosesongs
 
I did a review of Caitlin Rose's debut Long Play "Own Side Now" in my last post, it's receiving overwhelming praise from every corner of the press. It's great news to see the album so highly thought of - this is one of those occasions when the praise is fully deserved.

Caitlin's been kind enough to give me some very comprehensive replies to a few questions. I'm really happy that I decided to start this feature - I maybe in my late twenties (I was fighting to say mid-twenties but I've had to let that one go last birthday!) but I'm as giddy as a goose when I get a response, Caitlin's answers are below:

Many, many thanks Caitlin.

What's the best gig you've attended in recent memory? Or a band that you’ve played with, who impressed you?

Deer Tick played a Nashville room called the Basement back in December and it was the most rocknroll show I've ever seen. One of my favorites for sure.
Mumford and Sons were fantastic at Bonnaroo and people responded really well to them which was nice to see. The crowd was gigantic.
Phosphorescent are always a great show, even though last time they came through they were san pedal steel. Still an absolute pleasure to watch.


Of your own songs, what song are you proudest of?

It's hard for me to be proud of anything because I believe that if you're truly proud of something you wouldn't want to change it. Lyrically, I try to never cut corners and have even changed songs years after they were written. Songs should always be allowed to grow as long as there are ways to make them better. I think Own Side and Sinful Wishing Well are the most confident moments for me so far. There's nothing I would change there.


What artists do you feel have influenced your work and continue to do so?

Bob Dylan will forever play a giant part in my creative psyche. Honestly, I hope I never know what he thinks of my music because I'm on a pretty good roll with the imaginary Dylan on my left shoulder and Linda Ronstadt on the right.


You are on a train for a long journey. Have you got a set playlist or an album that will help pass the time?

I can listen to any Dylan record two or three times in succession. "Blonde on Blonde" is a good one for me. I also have a couple bootlegs that are really great.

Deer Tick's "Born on Flag Day" is another favorite.

I make a lot of mixes, though I'm not a fan of playlists.

Just throwing together a playlist seems disrespectful to me. If you're going to butcher someone's album and collage with with a bunch of other songs then at least put some thought into it. It helps out with your own album sequencing as well. You get a good feel for cues and segues and all kinds of awesome crap that no one pays attention to anymore. One of my favorite things to listen to on long rides is the White Album (Kinfauns) demos. Maybe I'll finally give Joanna Newsom's newest "Have One on Me" the good amount of time that it deserves.


Which song do you wish you had written?

George Harrison's Isn't it a Pity? and an old Cindy Walker song called Goin' Away Party, but the more I learn about her the less jealous and the more in awe I am of her. She is one of the greatest country songwriters of all time, but her name is not nearly as recognizable as that of Harlan Howard(a big fan of hers) or Acuff&Rose or Hank Cochran's. She passed away in 2006 and it breaks my heart that I never got to meet her.

Joanna Newsom's Jackrabbits stings a little bit. That first verse is pure brilliance.


If you were to curate an ATP event, who would you want to invite along?

Deer Tick, Phosphorescent, Joanna Newsom, The Morning Benders, Silver Jews, The Walkmen, Glossary, Bobby Bare Jr., A.A. Bondy, Justin Townes Earle, Roman Candle, Dawes, Iris Dement, Willie Nelson... maybe Paul Westerberg if he wasn't too busy being the coolest motherfucker on the planet. I would also get this Brazillian girl Mallu Magalhães to play. She's one of my favorites right now. She writes in English too sometimes and it's very interesting lyrically.

I love people who write in English as a second language. It's more freed up and therefore less inhibited. Words and ideas that can be kind of taboo or just seem out of place in contemporary songwriting just fly out as casual as can be and without pretension.


Recommend to me, an artist that isn’t getting the attention they deserve.

Roman Candle who are based out of Nashville by way of North Carolina and Glossary who are based out of Murfreesboro, TN.
www.myspace.com/romancandle
www.myspace.com/glossary
 

Thank you, Caitlin. I've some new artists to check out here, I'm sure I am going to enjoy doing so.

I've complied a mix of some of Caitlin's favourite artists and those she has recommended:
Caitlin Rose Mix by morrisday
 
I mentioned the tour dates in my last post, but here they are again with a few direct links.
Tickets are going quick and with the positive reviews, I can't see them hanging around long, so get yours now.

Own Side Now is out now through Names Records (BUY) with an exclusive mix CD from rough trade or from amazon.
You can also get her Debut EP from amazon too Dead Flowers
She tours the UK across August and September:

August:
8.19 - London, UK - Camp with Sam Amidon http://www.wegottickets.com/event/83761
8.20 - Wales - Green Man Festival
8.22 - Kilkenny, Ireland - Cleere's Theatre
8.23 - Dublin, Ireland - Crawdaddy
8.24 - Cork, Ireland - Cyprus Ave with Megafaun
8.25 - Manchester, UK - Night & Day Cafe http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?code=489761&userid={F8A0042E-2FF2-475D-AD05-96DA5594908A}&filler1=see&filler2=art-srch
8.27 - Birmingham, UK - Glee Club
8.29 - North York Moors, UK - The Band Room
September:
1 - London, UK - Slaughtered Lamb SOLD OUT
2 - Bristol, UK - St. Bonaventure http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_south&query=detail&event=399696
4 - Vlieland, Netherlands - Great Wide Open Festival
6 - Brixton - Windmill http://www.wegottickets.com/event/89799
8 - London, UK - Scala with Phosphorescent http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&event=394946
9 - Kilburn - The Luminaire http://www.wegottickets.com/event/88381
11 - Devon, UK - End of the Road Festival
14 - Brighton, UK - Latest Bar http://www.seetickets.com/see/price.asp?code=486952&userid={F8A0042E-2FF2-475D-AD05-96DA5594908A}&filler1=see&filler2=art-srch
and then on tour with Deer Tick throughout September including a London date:
28 - Cargo, UK w/ Deer Tick http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_london&query=detail&event=393067

4 comments: