Thursday 19 May 2011

iamamiwhoami - ; john

It's rare for me to post about a 'mainstream' artist (and by mainstream I mean someone capable of 62k's worth of views in four days) because there are so many sites telling you about them that if you first read about them here then it's likely that you are my Mum.

However, I'm going to make a brief exception and post about iamamiwhoami (still not confirmed but reported to be Swedish artist Jonna Lee) who has perhaps created the best viral musical campaign to hit internet to date (and spawned hundreds of other mysterious, anonymous project to boot). She's successfully managed to create the an army of devote followers with a dozen or so YouTube and iTunes tracks that it does make you wonder if the days of physical projects are numbered (though I doubt it and think not - I'm sure I'm one of many who'd love a physical copy of her releases to date with beautiful artwork, a supporting DVD etc, yeah it would be amazing).

Now I'm not going to go into the in's and out's of her visual themes etc - if you want that check out this wiki page - but iamamiwhoami is certainly no gimmick, her Knife-esque electro soundscapes push every known boundary with their overall presentation and artistic creativity. It's definitely ambitious and it's unbelievably stunning, take her come back track (her BOUNTY series was almost a year ago now) "; John" with a long sprawling and frankly creepily weird video (that's one hell of a lot of toilet roll!) it's just outstanding, perhaps surpassing her own highs heard on "O" and "Y" the addictively melodic electro dance track is simply one of the best tracks you'll hear this year, iamamiwhoami have raised the bar again, I hope it's the start of a new series of clips from her.

As well as her earlier tracks, I highly recommend you track down her live video performance too, it defies the word sublime.



iamamiwhoami - ; john

No comments:

Post a Comment