Monday 9 May 2011

My Gold Mask - New Music "Introducing"

http://www.mygoldmask.com/ / http://mygoldmask.bandcamp.com

Chicago duo My Gold Mask call their sound 'Extrinsic Pop' though to be honest I've no real idea what that means, what I'm hearing is a powerful, exciting and damn-right excellent indie-pop / rock.

Lead singer Gretta Rochelle has an amazing set of pipes on her, for proof watch the live video below, a quite exquisite and energetic performance where Gretta's soaring voice howls over her precise drumming and echoey guitar riffs from bandmate Jack Armondo.

The first My Gold Mask track I heard was "Violet Eyes" from their 2010 release 'A Thousand Voices EP', driven by it's propulsive, stomping drumbeat intertwined with woodblock percussion and (of course) Gretta's vocals; it's dynamic, explosive and utterly compelling. The second track off the same release "All Up In The Air" retains the woodblock percussion but switches to a moody and dark ambience, a menacing guitar riff leads whilst Gretta's icy-chilly vocal wails alongside momentum building drumming which peaks at almost Adam & The Ants style frenzy, it's pretty wonderful stuff.
My Gold Mask appear capable of changing their style with infinite ease and yet retaining that wow factor.

There's another 2010 EP 'A Million Miles (From Where We Were Last)' to enjoy on their bandcamp and with a full length being recorded My Gold Mask will soon be picking up more fans to the one they've just made in me.

Listen:
All Up In The Air by My Gold Mask

Violet Eyes by My Gold Mask


MY GOLD MASK / YOUR COO KA CHOO / PUBLIC ASSEMBLY from Giovanni P Autran on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment