Wednesday 29 June 2011

Anika #2 - No One's There Single

Facebookhttp://anika.bandcamp.com/

Anika's self-titled debut LP blew my mind right at the back end of 2010 earning itself a place in my top 25 albums of the year barely two weeks after I'd first heard it - the airplay it's received on my stereo since could potentially lead to it being even higher if I were to do the list now - the white vinyl looks pretty sexual too.

Step forward to this week and Anika has released a digital single of one of the (numerous) stand-out's, 'No One's There' (one of the few original tracks off the album), with two bonus tracks. Firstly something the track was tailor-made for, a dub-step remix and at least for me, more excitingly a new track entitled "He Needs Me". A track written by Harry Nilsson for the Popeye soundtrack in 1980 (thanks wikipedia). It's wonderful too, Anika's vocals follow the same disconcerting nonchalance tone that is heard throughout the album whilst a looping organ sound plays out, it reminds me one of those things you see at the funfair slowed down, brilliant.

You can purchase the three track single for £1.99 via Anika's bandcamp. Listen below:



Here's a suitably downcast video for the last track, featuring black and white live recording interlaced with derelict buildings, which echoes the depression led paranoia and lingering fear that runs through the track:



In case you are new to Anika, here's another track to listen to off the album, followed by a captivating live performance of the same song. Check out the full album, you won't regret it.
Anika - I Go To Sleep by stonesthrow


Anika - I Go To Sleep (Live) from roteraupe on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment