Monday 6 June 2011

Kindest Lines #2 - An Interview With

Facebookhttp://kindestlines.blogspot.com/

I first mentioned Kindest Lines back in April when I picked up on a couple of their tracks "Baltimore" and "Destructive Paths to Live Happily", the New Orleans trio sound effortlessly switches between vintage 80's synth-pop with Brittany Terry's dreamy vocals over chiming guitars and a pulsing new-wave tinged danced beat to depressed industry soundscapes, thumping textured rhythms and throbbing, fuzzy pulses.

It was a pretty exciting intro to the band who now have been kind enough to answer some questions for me, you can read them below;

All three members have been kind enough to respond. Firstly, Justin's answers below:

What inspired you to start making music?

Music in general, it was probably heavy metal of the late 80's that got me interested in drums. but with kindest lines, I first got interested in synthesizers because of my obsession with Italian horror movies. I was really sick for a long time and I thought I'd never play music again, but I bought my first keyboard on a whim and ended up having a lot of fun with it. it gave me something to work on while I was sick at home, instead of just spending my time wasting away. This band really saved my life in a way; it gave me a reason to get better.

Of your own songs, which are you proudest of and what track is the most fun to play live?

"Running Into Next Year" is always a fun one to play live.

Which artists do you feel have influenced your work and continue to do so?

I really love Italian film soundtrack composers. Ennio Morriconne, Goblin, Fabio Frizzi, Riz Otrolani, and on and on.

Which song do you wish you had written?

"Castles in the Snow" - Twin Shadow. Can't get it out of my head

What's the best gig you've attended in recent memory? Or a band that you’ve played with who impressed you?

Telefon Tel Aviv. I can't remember the last time I blindly went to a show for a band I'd never heard and left so impressed.

If you were to curate an ATP event, who would you want to invite along?

Goblin, Blonde Redhead, Black Heart Procession, Glass Candy/ Chromatics, Frank Just Frank, Martin Dupont, Little Nemo, Death Cult, and David Bowie just for the hell of it.

Recommend an artist that isn’t getting the attention they deserve.

Belong. Really blown away by them and the weird thing is they're a local band, but I had to go to Chicago to hear them for the first time. New Orleans can be puzzling sometimes.


***** Here are Jack's answers below;

What inspired you to start making music?

Honestly... I thought guitarists looked cool and I just wanted to have one in my hands.

Of your own songs, which are you proudest of and what track is the most fun to play live?

"Baltimore" I've had that riff and chord progression for years. Justin through a great drum beat and organ line on it and Brittany's lyrics and vocal melody are heartbreaking.

Which artists do you feel have influenced your work and continue to do so?

It depends on what day it is honestly. I get mad at my heroes on some days and go weeks and months without listening to them as if they're friends that i got in a big fight with.

Which song do you wish you had written?

"Not too Soon" by Throwing Muses. It's the same three chords the whole way through and that crazy thing Tanya Donnelly does in the chorus is the coolest thing ever. Go listen to it. You wish you wrote it.

What's the best gig you've attended in recent memory? Or a band that you’ve played with who impressed you?

I really dug The Sky Drops. We played with them a few weeks back.

If you were to curate an ATP event, who would you want to invite along?

The entire Wierd Records roster, The Soft Moon, Plastic Flowers, Ceremony, Screen Vinyl Image and absolutely no reunions of classic bands... leave it in the past!!!

Recommend an artist that isn’t getting the attention they deserve.

Endian...whenever he puts this album out, your jaw will drop...these songs are perfect.


***** and finally here are Brittany's answers;

What inspired you to start making music?

Music conjures tons of thought - understands, and changes you. Communicates and allows realistic, and idealistic feelings that may not even seem normal to express. It's hard not to want a part.

Of your own songs, which are you proudest of and what track is the most fun to play live?

In Death is both for me. I really can't believe how easily it constructed itself to become perfect, climactic pop song.

Which artists do you feel have influenced your work and continue to do so?

James Figurine, the Radio Dept.

Which song do you wish you had written?

So hard to pick just one! .... The Equalizer by Junior Boys ... Hungover by The Gentle People. Soooo many! Don't make me choose.

A band that you’ve played with who impressed you?

Abiku from Baltimore - they totally just went off, and were super nice. We also had the pleasure of playing with Esben & the Witch.

If you were to curate an ATP event, who would you want to invite along?

Future Islands, Wild Nothing, John Maus, Jeremy Jay, Linear Movement, Morgan Geist, Pop Levi, Grimes, the Russian Futurists, CFCF, Kisses & 200 more special guests

Recommend an artist that isn’t getting the attention they deserve.

King Tuff

****


My thanks again goes to Kindest Lines for taking the time to answer my questions, their debut LP 'Covered in Dust' is released next week, June 15th via Wierd Records and you can order it here.

It's superb too. The brilliance of the aforementioned "Baltimore" and  "Destructive Paths To Live Happily" aside, you need to check out the albums opener "Hazy Haze", "Running Into Next Year" and "In Death Not to Part", hypnotic beats, washes of echoey guitars and a lovely airy vocal, it's a compelling cocktail and one you should definitely check out.

As ever, here is a playlist from the artists covered above for you to enjoy and who know perhaps discover something new to listen to:










Finally, here's the video to the fantastic "Destructive Paths To Live Happily", enjoy it and then buy the groups debut, yeah?

Kindest Lines - "Destructive Paths To Live Happily" from stereogum on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment