Sunday 19 June 2011

Ten Bands You Should See at Glastonbury 2011 Part Two

The second part of my bands to watch at Glastonbury, following on from part one here:

The Joy Formidable
     John Peel Tent, Sunday 26th, 14.00 - 14.45

Kicking off the second part of my tips to see at Glastonbury with any but a surprise for readers of this blog. The act I've seen the most live in the past twelve months, The Joy Formidable are (for me) the best live act currently on tour. The intensity created by the three members is extraordinary, their songs are fantastic, their album is one of the best albums since who knows.

Expect TJF to tear up the John Peel stage early on Sunday afternoon. Cannot wait.

Whirring by thejoyformidable

Lykke Li
      The Park, Sunday 26th, 20.00 - 21.00

I'm looking forward to seeing Lykke Li on The Park stage, it will be the first time I've seen her since the Rough Trade East show the same day her second album 'Wounded Rhymes' came out, I went to that show by chance, they'll be no chance I'm missing this one, the album has established itself as one of my favourites of the year.

Stunning, inventive pop tracks and some of the best beautiful ballads of the year with tracks like "Sadness is a Blessing" and "I Know Places", she is going to be amazing, Beyonce who?

Lykke Li - Sadness Is A Blessing

Hurts
      John Peel Tent, Sunday 26th, 19.05 - 20.05

I'm expecting a qutie spectacular show from Hurts, despite struggling to get critical acclaim from some quarters the group have established themselves as a real hit with fans amassing some fervent fans, especially in Eastern Europe.

Their blend of theatrical operatic-pop, brooding demeanour and 80's grandiose styling is perhaps too flamboyant for some but after seeing them rise from their debut London show at Wilton's Music Hall to a Brixton Academy date I'm looking forward to seeing them on a big Glastonbury stage.

HURTS - Wonderful Life

Guillemots
      Oxlyers In West, Friday 24th, 15.00 - 15.40
      Chai Wallahs, Saturday 24th, 16.00 - 16.45
      Avalon Stage, Saturday 25th, 21.40 - 22.40

A hat-trick of official gigs (with at least one more at The Crows Nest) for Guillemots, a band I saw on the main stage back in 2007 (they've since fallen off the mainstream radar, perhaps partly at the bands doing thanks to their rather eccentric 'Red').

I said recently (here) just about everything I could about the band, so let's just say I'll see you at a couple of these Glasto shows.

Made-up Lovesong #43 by Guillemots

Special Guests
       The Park, Friday 24th, 20.00 - 21.15
       The Park, Saturday 25th, 19.45 - 21.00

It wouldn't be Glastonbury without some wild and wonderful rumours about who the special guests at The Park stage are going to be, some I think are wide of the mark, I can't see Arcade Fire playing when they are in Poland Friday and Luxembourg Sunday, of course I'm happy to be surprised. The Killers play in London Wed-Friday and although they could play for a fourth day in a row in Pilton, I can't see it happening.

My guesses? Well I think it's going to be Arctic Monkeys and Pulp. The Monkeys might be alright, I saw them headline in '07 and it was pretty rubbish though but on a smaller stage perhaps they'd be worth a viewing (although I'm not a fan of their new material) but the weekend could be made by a Glastonbury return for Jarvis et co. Why they aren't headlining the festival is Michael Eavis' business, I personally think they should be and I've got just about everything crossed that Pulp turn up and put on a phenomenal show during the weekend, if it's anything like the Primavera show, phenomenal it will be. See you there Jarvis?

Pulp - This is Hardcore

Still want more? Well if I was to make it 15 bands to see, I'd have recommend: Sea of Bees (The Park), Exlovers (Oxlyers in West), Deep Cut (BBC Introducing), Those Dancing Days (The Park) and Emily and the Woods (Acoustic). See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment