Monday 20 June 2011

Las Kellies - Kellies

http://kellies.bandcamp.com/

Hot on the heels of seeing Costa Rican garage-rock band Las Robertas I went to see Argentina's Las Kellies (they seem to have added the 'Las' recently, their older branding simply Kellies) playing at White Heat last Tuesday. Las Kellies, just like Las Robertas the night before surfed up a wonderful blend of indie-reggae-punk-garage rock & roll, combining three way vocal interchanges in both English and Spanish during a compulsive, charming and highly energetic show.

In fact their setlist showed they scuttled through twenty-six tracks in their forty-five minute set-time, quite an incredible feat. I doubt anybody in attendance would deny the show was funky, fun and completely engaging. The energy generated by the girls was incredible, the prominent bass-lines were a definite highlight for me, all three girls were brilliant, clearly having a great time and at the end of the show I walked away happy and wishing they were playing London again soon. Unfortunately they are not, their brief UK tour is now over and the girls have moved on to France, hopefully they'll be back soon.

I only had enough cash with me to purchase one of their albums, I went with their most recent album, their third, 'Kellies' (released via Fire Records) and it's great (although I do slightly regret that now as I've not managed to track down a hard copy of their other releases online). I feel behind the times not picking up on Las Kellies sooner but I think outside of their native country the girls haven't really taken off (in fact I couldn't name a single other Argentinian band), well, perhaps until their recent signing with Fire and the released of 'Kellies' which has picked up some great reviews from both The 405 and Drowned in Sound.

When they both give and album 8/10, there is no point in me reviewing it in a far more amateur fashion, so I'll leave this rambling post with the promise that if you are looking for some good times, modern rock & roll pick yourself up a copy of 'Kellies' and listen to "Erase You", "Perro Rompebolas" or "Bling Bling". I promise you'll feel better for it.

Listen:
las kellies - kellies - Prince In Blue
Kellies "Perro Rompebolas"

This video is amazing, watch:

No comments:

Post a Comment