Friday 3 June 2011

Happy New Year / Adult Themes - New Music "Introducing"

http://happynewyear.bandcamp.com/ / http://adultthemes.bandcamp.com/ // http://www.happynewyearmusic.com/

I think this is the first ever time I've done two bands on the same post but it works okay I think.

Happy New Year is the solo project of Eleanor Logan, a member of Adult Themes (I didn't know this until after I started this post, otherwise I'd probably have given the band a space of their own previously). I discovered HNY thanks to her support slot with JMTIL favourites No Joy, I couldn't make the show because I was in Barcelona, but the name stood-out and here we are...

At the back end of last year Eleanor released her debut Happy New Year release 'Hotel / Twins' via Crikey Records (who also released the now sold out Adult Themes debut 7") and is limited to 300 7" Vinyl. "Twins" with pounding drums and scratching guitar hissing along, the droning grunge-crunk sounds causing general mayhem over Eleanor's light and echoed vocal. "Hotel" is more experimental and equally impressive, with electronic glitches and sporadic noises played over a looping, rhythmic beat. It's a pretty fantastic debut, she played in London last night, I imagine it was great - I think it was the end of her UK trip, which is a pity but hopefully she'll be back and not playing when I'm out of the country and on Wednesday's!

The Adult Themes 7" 'Four Fires / Young Bodies' came out last July, and both tracks follow a more garage-rock style, brief in duration they are urgent, aggressive and noisy. The drumming is an absolute stand-out on both fuzzed-up numbers which call to be played loud.

You can download both 7"'s for free via the bandcamp links above and listen below:

Happy New Year - Hotel by neumagazine







HAPPY NEW YEAR- HOTEL from rob heppell on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment